Experience the atmosphere and noise of a working pit when you take a tour of our Victorian Colliery with an ex-miner as your guide. See the original Pithead, recreated underground roadway and coalface ... More info ›
Experience the atmosphere and noise of a working pit when you take a tour of our Victorian Colliery with an ex-miner as your guide. See the original Pithead, recreated underground roadway and coalface. Marvel at the working Winding Engine, hear personal stories of your tour guide and enjoy the unique location that makes this a tour you will not forget.
Tours are led by ex-miners who give you a great insight into the lives of those who worked in coal mines, both at work and outside of it. Our tour guides are personable, informative and entertaining people who enjoy engaging with the public and answering any questions you may have.
Included in Your Ticket
Arrival and Starting your Tour
- Admission fee to the Museum's Exhibition Floors
- Guided Tour
- Optional Audio Guide (instead of a tour guide)
- Arrive at the museum's main entrance where a member of our visitor services team will greet you collect your voucher.
- You will be allocated to a tour time based on the next available.
- The tour can either take place before you visit the exhibition galleries or after depending on availability.
- Tours can book up quickly and voucher holders are encouraged to call in advance order to book on your preferred tour time.
- Parking at the museum is free and coach parking is available.
- If you or anyone in your group requires special assistance, please contact us in advance.
- Groups of 12 or more receive a discount of £1 per ticket, please contact us directly to purchase your tickets.